Babette has been testing me in the last week, since the first square virtually made itself. My plan of using just a few colours per square to make chunky bright stripes didn’t work. The vivid colours can fight spectacularly if not carefully managed. 4 colours per 6-round square works well, and results in stripes that do not displease. 3 colours per 6 round square results in brasher combinations and much harder work getting adjacent squares to play nicely together. There has been a lot of frogging, and a fair bit of wondering just what was I thinking when I a) decided to make Babette and b) chose the colours. It was worth it though as I now love each and every square of the three sections that I’ve finished and joined so far, and can once again look at the nine colours and see their potential in a good way. Which is good, as there are 7 sections of gradually increasing size yet to make.
I am sticking to joining each section before starting the next, using the Lucy granny square method. There has been frogging here too, until I realised that using a single colour for joining everything was never going to work. Here’s a reverse shot of the join between the two 6-round squares. The crochet is not going to be the difficult part of this project, it is the seaming and endless ends (sorry…) that are the challenges. It was lovely sitting on the balcony in the sun today, joining squares despite the minor mishaps of dropping a ball of yarn in my gin & tonic (small ball rather than huge glass) and having to pause to stop Small Girl scraping a Clover hook along the tile grouting.
Nothing started on the hat yet, despite my last minute dash to the wool shop for suitable cables and dpns before leaving on holiday. I am happy enough that I’ve got the Babette colours behaving again. As I write this on Saturday night I have 8 ends left to sew in on the joined sections 1-3. The Cornish light is helping, as even when it’s dull the light here is clear and colours are true. I think I can truthfully say that it will be a very long time before I do another blanket requiring this amount of end-sewing-in and seaming. Please remind me of this if I ever start banging on about using up stash on that delightful puffy hexagon quilt. I see the future, and the future is end-y. Then again, it is hard to imagine needing another multi-colour blanket any time soon, especially if this one turns out the way I hope it will.
I hope you have all had a good week too.