It’s all about numbers. You can work out the number of stitches for each side by multiplying the round number by 4 and subtracting 1 (thank you Ravelry). Plus I always seem to be one stitch adrift when seaming, so it’s worthwhile counting stitches and placing markers (see below) before starting to seam.
That I really need some locking stitch markers to hold everything together at the right places when seaming. The split ring markers don’t hold two layers together well, and safety pins work but split the yarn and are faffy.
That the edge with the little finishing bump is far better seamed in as short a seam as possible, rather than taking the easy way and positioning the square so that the bump won’t be encountered until much later (on a longer seam with many more stitches to count and match). It’s far easier to deal with any problems on a shorter seam. Lesson learned.
That brighter colours work most happily when there are more of them. I’ve added a new orange this week (next to the purple on the square at the top of this post), which has made me very happy. The LYS owner is hoping to get some more colours in, which would make me even happier. I could definitely use another pink and possibly a lighter blue.
Anyway. This week I have made and joined sections 4 and 5 (right and top respectively in this picture). I have a few ends to sort out (see back view above) before moving onto section 6, which comprises 13 squares so will take a good few days including seaming. Once section 6 is done I shall pause for new yarn, hopefully with a couple of new colours.
Happy Bank Holiday Monday to all those in UK, and wishing everyone a happy and productive week. And a very Happy Mimosa Day to everyone with little ones starting or returning to school/nursery this week – I think whether you’re thoroughly delighted or a little bit sad, it’s definitely worth celebrating. There may be a small peach Bellini in my future on Thursday next. Thank you to Misty at The Wooly Mammoth for the excellent phrase.